23/12/2013 | by Heather Irvine
As the Yakov Smirnoff’s joke goes, ‘In Russia, torch lights you.’ Not everyone has been so lucky as to have the torch expire on them. At the end of November Pyotr Makarchuk, a former bobsledder carried the flame through Abakan in Siberia.
Everything seemed to be going swimmingly until the torch leaked liquid gas onto his jacket causing him to temporarily catch on fire. Luckily for him the fire went out quickly – as you’d expect – and he was unhurt, and luckily for everyone else the incident quickly appeared on YouTube.