Mpora / Road Cycling /
Are These The Worst Cycle Lanes Ever Built? Some Of These Are Ridiculous...
A comprehensive collection of some of the worst cycle lanes ever made...
Near enough everyone who doesn’t cycle hates the people that do. We all know
But it’s not just our fellow road users that love to hate cyclists. No. It would seem that government officials and city planners are also not big fans of the two-wheeled pedaller.
How do we know? If the people who planned out cities were cyclists, they sure as hell wouldn’t have let these abominations come into the world…
Here is a comprehensive collection of the worst cycle lanes to ever exist.
Tip: Use the left
/ right arrow keys
1. 'The Scenic Route' Cycle Lane
This path in Surrey has sent many riders wandering helplessly through the forests...
2. 'The Take The Bus Instead' Cycle Lane
Cyclists will be able to fit past that, right? Wrong.
3. 'The There’s A Sign In The Way' Cycle Lane
Probably the most useless and irritating sign ever made.
4. 'The Pointless Detour' Cycle Lane
A slight detour from the road here provides a scenic route for riders.
5. 'The Feel Great This Summer' Cycle Lane
Marketing people call this a 'highly interruptive advertising format'.
6. 'The Slalom Challenge' Cycle Lane
Ok. This is getting ridiculous. Is this some kind of slalom obstacle course?
7. 'The Where To Start' Cycle Lane
Should I ride backwards into the red bollards or turn left into the curb. Decisions decisions.
8. 'The Cycle Lane Challenge ' Cycle Lane
As if the cycle lane wasn't small enough already, why not put a lampost in the middle...
9. 'The Straight Into Trouble' Cycle Lane
Really? How does this even happen?!
10. 'The Stop To Make A Call' Cycle Lane
There is a phone box in the middle of this cycle path. What a terrible call.
11. 'The Safe Crossing' Cycle Lane
Just outside Old Trafford, this path gives you safe crossing along the middle of the road and into a bollard.
12. 'The Idiot Locals' Cycle Lane
This is on the way to Torquay... The cycle path is actually fine here, it's just the locals that are idiots.
13. 'The Canal-Side Challenge' Cycle Lane
A bold line in Netherlands. This is more of a challenge than a cycle path.
14. 'The Didn't Even Try' Cycle Lane
We're not sure if this cycle path was any good, but if it's half as bad as it's sign...
15. 'The Utterly Useless' Cycle Lane
This one should keep all you cyclists out there safe.
16. 'The Something Isn’t Right Here' Cycle Lane
Oh, well I guess I must be here then?
17. 'The Head Over The Handlebars' Cycle Lane
A rather abrupt ending is the calling for this confused cycle path.
18. 'The Doesn’t Even Count' Cycle Lane
A picture of a bike and chevrons to helpfully remind cyclists of the direction they're already travelling in.
19. 'The Getting Ridiculous' Cycle Lane
Ok this isn't the original cycle lane with a challenging positioned lampost but sometimes the sequel is better.
20. 'The Absolutely Rubbish' Cycle Lane
This is what happens when two noble local government causes collide. We can only imagine the terse emails between Gary in 'sustainable transport ' and Neil in 'waste management'.
20. 'The Ironic Injury Causer' Cycle Lane
The irony of a 'Watch For Bikes' sign blocking the cycle path... Sigh.
22. 'The Straight Lines Are Boring' Cycle Lane
This one actually looks quite fun.
You May Also Like
Why We’re Frothing With Excitement For This Weekend’s Downhill World Cup In Canada
Can You Believe This Brilliant Looking Bike Fits Into a Backpack?