23 Epic Quotes That Every Cyclist Should Live By
“It never gets easier, you just go faster...”
There’s a famous quote from American author Mark Twain that goes: “Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live."
The quote is the final line from a short piece on how to ride a bicycle – specifically a penny farthing-style high-wheeler – written by Twain in the 1880s. Who knows, maybe had the author lived in the 21st century, he would’ve been shredding trails in Colorado rather than writing ‘Huckleberry Finn’. He certainly knew how to give a good piece of advice out, anyway.
This list, however, is for the cyclists who didn’t need Mark Twain in order to know that they needed a bicycle. This is for the mountain bikers who speak a different language and the road cyclists who see the world in a different way.
Most people who are reading this list probably don’t need inspiration to get out there and ride their bikes, but who knows, maybe there’s a quote in here that’ll give you that extra little boost...
1) “Life’s too short not to go big" – Josh Bender
2) “A bad day on the mountain bike always beats a good day in the office" – Mike Brcic
3) “The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash" – Juli Furtado
4) “It never gets easier, you just go faster" – Greg LeMond
5) “Shut up legs. Do what I tell you to do!" – Jens Voigt
6) “There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles" – Tom Kunich
7) "Crashing is part of cycling as crying is part of love" - Johan Museeuw
8) “Never ignore your instinct and you can always push harder. I get inspired when I think about people who have pushed their bodies to the limit" – Rachel Atherton
9) “Ride as much or as little or as long or as short as you feel, but ride!" – Eddy Merckx
10) “Think of bicycles as ridable art that can just about save the world" - Grant Petersen
11) “When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin on the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking" – Arthur Conan Doyle
12) “To me it doesn’t matter whether it’s raining or the sun is shining or whatever. As long as I’m riding a bike I know I’m the luckiest guy in the world" – Mark Cavendish
13) “It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels" – Heinz Stucke
14) “Any day I’m out on a bike is a good one" – Martyn Ashton
15) “There’s no f**king drug in the world that could give you a high like that" – Shaun Palmer
16) “When I first started out in [mountain biking], it was all about having fun, playing with my mates, with a bit of racing thrown in. Nothing has changed!" – Steve Peat
17) “Pain is still the friend that always tells me the truth" – Chris Froome
18) “Don’t buy upgrades; ride up grades!" – Eddy Merckx
19) “It really is all about believing in yourself. 80% mental, 20% physical" – Victoria Pendleton
20) “Bike riding is a way to explore... a way to explore nature and the world" – Cam Zink
21) “One thing that cycling has taught me is that if you achieve something without a struggle it’s not going to be satisfying" – Greg LeMond
22) “If you do something right the first time, then it’s not hard enough" – Danny MacAskill
23) “Loves Back Wheel" – Josh Bryceland
The Indestructibles, a new TV show sponsored by G-Shock, is coming soon to Dave.