Why Did This Abandoned Skateboard Set Fire To A House In West Yorkshire
Skateboarding is not a crime, but it can be absolutely criminal...
Some skateboards seem to be host at home smashing around the streets. Others just love kissing the coping on a mini ramp. However, one skateboard in Huddersfield just wanted to see the world burn.
A long abandoned deck belonging to nine year old Josh Jarvis appears to have started a blaze in a family home in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.
It's believed that the skateboard, unused for four years, was sitting on some central heating pipes, and over the years, created a 'pyrophoric action', which then set fire to the wood, and in turn the home.
"The moral of the story? Never give up skateboarding"
Sounds complicated? It's actually pretty simple. The changing temperature of the central heating pipes, over the four year period, slowly turned the plywood deck into charcoal - just like you'd light your barbecue with. This then caught ablaze, and the fire spread to the house.
Luckily Josh, who was being looked after by his nana at the time, smelt the smoke and called 999. This swift action, and the expert response from local fire fighters mean that - skateboard aside - nothing was too badly damaged, and nobody was hurt.
The moral of this story? Use smoke alarms, support the fire service and, most of all, never ever give up skateboarding. Hell hath no fury like a skateboard scorned.