In 2016, being a surfer is cool. Whether you're a longboarder, a shortboarder, a big wave rider or a easy going old timer, surfing gives you instant kudos.
In the past however, surfing didn't always had this level of chill, a century ago when people were first having a go at riding waves, people looked, well,a bit silly. Jumping around in the whitewater with a piece of wood doesn't have quite the same effect without the modern hype surrounding it.
That doesn't mean that those early pioneers didn't have some pretty rad moves however, as these photos totally prove. From teensy male swimsuits, to freakin' ginormous boards. Surfing back in the day was pretty damn hilarious....
1) "I Haaad the time of my lifeeee"
2) Taken in 1960, before they'd discovered the ocean, Apparently
3) Fridays be like....
4) You know, It's A Real Mystery Why The Male Swimsuit Died Out
5) The luanda bay boys knew how to catch waves, woo the ladies AND keep their quiffs in place
6) Big Boards, Teeny Swimsuits
7) Linda Makaha being a total badass in 1950
8) These surfers in 1920s were given boards by the local coffin maker...
10) Party Wave!!!
11) Mary Anne Hawkins Ripping way back in 1937
12) "Do you think we've overpacked?"
13) When logs really were logs. Crikey.
14) Yup. Even in 1967, that's pretty rad.
15) Surfing USA, sixty years ago today....
You May Also Like
The Pros & Cons Of Ordering A Custom Surfboard From A Shaper
The Pros & Cons Of Buying A Second-Hand Surfboard