Athletes compete individually and receive a score between 1.0 and 10.0 from a panel of six judges. Winning runs will feature creative line choices, tackling natural features all while staying constantly riding with style and control.
Judges score runs in line with the following five criteria:
- Line: Where in the face the contestant rides, including difficulty, originality, features and chutes undertaken and the size of jumps.
- Control: Both when riding and in the air.
- Air and Style: Number and of size of jumps, tricks and style. Loss of control is penalised.
- Fluidity: Rewards a rider that keeps moving without traversing, falls or stops.
- Technique: The quality of the turns and how they’re linked. How the rider tackles steep and narrow sections is also examined.