In an apparent about face, French Formula One commentator Jean-Louis Moncet has tweeted that he never actually talked to Michael Schumacher’s son about the involvement of a GoPro in the the racing driver’s head injuries.
The journalist had previously told ‘Europe 1’ radio station that: “The problem for Michael was not the hit, but the mounting of the GoPro camera that he had on his helmet,” and had also suggested that he had been speaking to Schumacher’s son about the subject.
However, tweets sent by Moncet since the story broke have confirmed that this view was only his own opinion rather than that of Mick Schumacher, who Moncet never actually spoke to at all.
STOP ALL SPECULATION. I say I saw Mic Schumacher, I dont say where, I dont say I talk with him or I did an interview with him. Clear ? #F1
— Jean Louis Moncet (@moncet) October 13, 2014
STOP ALL SPÉCULATION 2. Mick could not say something about camera or injury of Michael because we did not speak together. #F1
— Jean Louis Moncet (@moncet) October 14, 2014
Talking about GoPro, there were no news. It was just my opinion. #F1
— Jean Louis Moncet (@moncet) October 15, 2014
The news comes after shares in GoPro plunged earlier this week on the back of the reports regarding the involvement of the camera in the severity of Schumacher’s injuries – but the latest revelations mean these shares will surely begin to pick up again soon.
The seven-time Formula One champion suffered traumatic head injuries after a skiing crash in the Alps last December, and is still recovering slowly after leaving hospital last month.
Ferrari boss Jean Todt has said that while it is unlikely Schumacher will drive a Formula One car again, he believes he will be able to “lead a relatively normal life again within a short period of time.”