First things first, we are not talking about the fine emporium of frozen party foods, we are talking the small frozen world in the middle of the atlantic ocean.
Neatly centered between the fair shores of the UK and the land of the free, the U.S, Iceland is becoming a popular stop over for those flying stateside.
Here are 10 reasons to get yourself there.
1) Peter Andre is actually banned from the country of Iceland, which is ironic, and also your first great reason to visit (OK he not actually be banned yet… but consider this the start of the campaign to make it happen)
2) You can ski five resorts in one day in northern Iceland. And like professional slopestyle skier Noah Wallace here, check out what Iceland looks like upside down.
3) Unlike the recent controversy surrounding its supermarket namesake, in the country of Iceland you can eat horse that’s actually delicious. You can also eat whale sushi, which tastes as good as the film Free Willy is to watch.
4) The Northern Lights, but that goes without saying. It’s like the sky has taken some really fun looking drugs. And apparently they are nothing to do with solar storms. It’s actually Björk who put all her earnings from ‘It’s Oh So Quiet’ into a nuclear powered projector that she points at the ski when she’s at home. Hence why they are a bit rare.
5) They like to drink alcohol. It’s incredibly expensive but at least you’ll be hungover when you remember exactly how expensive.
6) You can snowmobile almost anywhere in the winter. Cue backcountry adventures. You can also Heliski, which is super-duper badass. And if the weather’s bad there is great winter surf. In fact you can quite easily ski and surf all in the same day. If you are brave enough and not scared of the cold.
7) Super Jeeping. Yes Jeeps on a muscle kick (like Peter Andre in the 90’s) can be chartered to check out the hot pools and wild geothermal activity of this volcanic land
8) It’s like visiting a fairytale. Icelanders are known for their Sagas (aka long stories) and many believe in elves. Each region has its own monster which is fucking great.
10) Seriously though the Northern lights, if nothing else, will melt your brain.
You may also like: